Our History

Park Gate & Company Limited is one of the largest electrical engineering companies in Cumbria. Now entering it’s eighth decade of business, we employ over 90 people and provide complete services in motor rewinds, control systems, industrial and commercial installations and sell a large range of electric motors and control gear.

Our large, modern premises are on the Kingstown Industrial Estate just off the M6 to the North of Carlisle from where we provide a comprehensive range of services to our clients and a positive working environment for our ever-increasing workforce. Our team of staff provides an experienced, highly skilled, professional service across the UK.

1946

How it began

Having completed their professional apprenticeships at the end of the second world war, in the era of post war optimism, George Park & Ernie Gate setup Park Gate & Co. Ltd and began trading on the 23rd October 1946 in Fisher Street, Carlisle, Cumbria.

From a back room in Jack Burrow’s premises, the business soon began to expand and take on employees

1950

In 1950

In 1950 the company moved to larger premises in West Tower Street, where they carried out electric motor rewind work, small electrical installations and became sales agents for Crompton Parkinson Motors (who later went on to become Brook Crompton).

In 1959 the company lost one of its founders when unfortunately Ernie Gate died quite suddenly.

1972

On the move again

1972 saw a move from West Tower Street to purpose built premises in Lancaster Street. Now employing in the region of 35 people and offering expanded services Park Gate & Co gained a reputation for service and reliability and were increasingly in demand for electrical installation and motor rewind services.

In the 1970’s recognising the increased need for Automation in industrial environments, Park Gate setup a dedicated control panel manufacturing dept, which would go on to become a major part of the company’s offering.

In 1981, as the company continued to grow and succeed, Park Gate expanded into sales and distribution and was appointed the North West area distributor for Telemecanique Control Equipment (now Schneider Electric)

1999

Moving to Kingstown

Once more needing larger premises, in late 1999 Park Gate were again on the move: this time to Kingstown Industrial Estate where the company is currently situated.

The larger, more modern premises enabled Park Gate to offer a wider range of services than ever before and a better working environment for the company’s workforce. In 2009 a first floor office extension was added to provide additional space for Contracting, Sales and Accounts functions.

2002

In 2002 Park Gate attained ISO9001 Quality Accreditation and together with further associations and approvals such as SafeContractor and Achilles enabled the company to tender for larger contracts and work with larger organisations such as BP Oil, LaFarge Tarmac and Centrica

2014

Further expansion at Kingstown

In 2014, the company control systems manufacturing department relocated to a purpose built facility nearby at 75 Kingstown Broadway to accommodate the team of design engineers and panel manufacturing electricians.

Under the direction of the founders two sons and in its 7th decade, Park Gate are one of the largest electrical companies in Cumbria, currently employing more than 90 people, well established with an enviable reputation for consistent delivery and performance.

Park Gate now provide complete services in motor rewinds, control systems, industrial and commercial installations, additionally sale of a large range of electric motors and control gear.

Our Directors

Ian Park

Director
Contact Ian
Contact Ian

Tel: 01228 552004

Mob: 07970 840463

Robert Park

Director
Contact Robert
Contact Robert

Tel: 01228 552005

Mob: 07970 264662

Our Clients

Celebrating over 60 years in business

Menu